Pump Truck Insurance

Pump trucks are used by construction companies, contractors, construction cleanup crews and oil companies among others. These trucks are large, heavy and very useful for the industries that buy them. They are also quite expensive.

Like other big specialty trucks, a pump truck is an excellent asset for your company but it can come with big risks too. If the truck is damaged in an auto accident, can your company afford to pay for the repairs? If the truck were completely destroyed or stolen, can you cover the cost of replacing it? Protect your truck from these types of losses with commercial auto insurance. Here are the primary types of coverage your pump truck needs:

  • Liability Insurance – Liability insurance is required by law in most parts of the United States. This coverage is designed to protect other people from losses that are caused when your pump truck is at fault for an auto accident. Liability insurance combines two types of coverage:
  • Bodily Injury – A pump truck can create severe physical injuries when it causes an auto accident. The bodily injury portion of your liability insurance policy is in place specifically to pay for the medical bills that arise due to people being injured in the accident. Bodily injury coverage pays for standard medical and emergency care such as transportation, emergency room treatment, and extended hospital stays. It also pays for ongoing recovery bills, prescription medications, lost wages and pain and suffering. Bodily injury coverage pays for the cost of a funeral when a person is fatally injured in an accident. It also pays for related medical or follow up care that is recommended by the treating physician, such as chiropractor care.
  • Property Damage – When other vehicles and property get damaged in an auto accident, the property damages section of your liability insurance will pay to have that property repaired.

Liability insurance can provide one single maximum amount of coverage per accident, regardless of what type of damages your truck caused. This is called a combined single limit liability policy. If you have this type of coverage at $50,000 for example, then your insurance policy pays a maximum of $50,000 per accident regardless of whether the benefits are paid for bodily injuries or property damages.

Alternatively liability insurance can provide three separate maximum coverage levels for individual bodily injuries, combined bodily injuries of all people harmed in the accident, and property damages separately. A split limit policy of $100,000/$300,000/$50,000 has a specific meaning. The first number, $100,000, is the maximum amount of benefits your policy will pay for one single individual person’s bodily injuries in the accident. The second number, $300,000 is the maximum total amount your policy will pay for all bodily injuries of all persons combined. The third number, $50,000, is the maximum amount your policy will pay for property damage claims caused by the accident.

You will select either a combined single limit or split limit policy when you set up your liability coverage. You will also select your coverage limits at that time and you will choose a deductible.

An insurance deductible is an amount of money that your company is responsible for when your pump truck is responsible for an accident. You pay the deductible before your insurance policy pays any benefits. The lower your deductible is, the more your insurance premiums tend to be. If you set your deductible too high however, you may have difficulty paying it if you need to make an accident claim.

Medical Payments – This insurance pays for the cost of medical care and treatment to your pump truck driver, and any passengers he had traveling with him at the time of the accident. This insurance pays benefits without regard to who is at fault for an auto accident, but it is not available to all companies in all areas. Contact one of our licensed representatives for in-depth details about this insurance option.

Physical Damage Insurance – Physical damages insurance protects you from the loss of your truck. It prevents you from having to pay for repairs when the truck is damaged, and it prevents you from having to pay for the replacement if it is destroyed. The types of perils and hazards this insurance protects you from depends upon the level of protection you choose.

  • Comprehensive Physical Damage Protection – As the name implies, this level of protection is the most comprehensive you can get for your pump truck. It covers you for almost anything that is not caused by a roll-over or a collision. If your truck is stolen or broken into for example, comprehensive damage protection will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle. If your truck gets damaged from debris in a storm, comprehensive coverage pays for those repairs as well.
  • Collision Protection – Collision damage protection is the coverage you need to take care of damages caused by a roll over, or caused when your truck impacts another object. If your pump truck runs into a pipe line on a job site for example, collision damage protection will pay for the cost of repairs.
  • Specified Peril (CAC) – Specified peril insurance is similar to comprehensive in that it does not cover damages caused by overturning or colliding. It is much more limited in scope however, because it protects you from only those hazards specified on your policy. This insurance is also known as Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverage (CAC).

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist – When another driver is at fault for an auto accident that causes damages to your pump truck, that driver’s insurance must pay for your truck repairs. Their insurance is also required to pay the associated medical expenses caused by bodily harm and injuries. If the driver at fault does not have insurance however, or their insurance is not adequate enough to cover all of the costs, your company could be left with a lot of bills. You can protect yourself from this situation by carrying uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage on your pump truck. When another driver cannot pay, your insurance will instead.

  • Bodily Injury – As covered with Liability Insurance.
  • Property Damage – As covered with Liability Insurance.
  • Collision Deductible Waiver (CDW) – When you carry uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury protection, you can also have a collision deductible waiver (CDW) so that you are not required to pay your insurance deductible.

Other Important Commercial Auto Insurance For PUMP TRUCK Includes:

  • Rental – Rental insurance pays for the cost of a temporary replacement vehicle when your pump truck is out for repairs due to an accident.
  • Towing – Towing insurance pays for the cost of towing your pump truck away from an accident.
  • Cargo – Cargo insurance protects you from the potentially expensive loss of the cargo your van is carrying at the time of an accident.
  • Accessories (Ex: mileage meters, navigation units, radios) – The communications radios, GPS navigational systems and other expensive accessory equipment you have installed on your pump truck can be covered for repairs or replacement with accessories insurance.