Commercial Auto Property Damage Coverage

Property damage liability is the second portion of a liability insurance policy. It combines with bodily injury to make up the overall liability coverage package.

Property damage liability insurance pays for repairs and replacement to property that is damaged in an auto accident that you cause. If for example, you are the cause of a collision accident with another automobile and that car is totaled, your property damage liability will pay all or part of the replacement costs. If you collide with a fire hydrant or run into a building, the property damage portion of your liability insurance pays for those repair expenses as well.

If you get sued because of property damage you caused in an accident, the property damage portion of your liability policy will also help pay your legal fees.

Who Needs Property Damage Liability Coverage?

Anyone who drives a vehicle needs to be protected with property liability coverage. Liability insurance is usually required by law in all states of the nation, and the property damage portion of that policy protects you from financial hardship when you cause an accident. It pays for repairs or replacements if property is damaged due to your actions.

Anyone who has a filing on their commercial auto insurance policy must also carry property damage liability coverage.

Property Damage Liability Coverage Limits And Other Details

When you set up your liability commercial auto insurance coverage, you must specify payment limits for the property damage liability section of your policy. Payment limits state the maximum amount your insurance company will pay for property damages that result when you cause an accident.

If your commercial auto liability insurance coverage is set up with split limits, the third number in the split determines the maximum amount your policy will pay for property damages.

If your auto insurance policy is set up with a combined single limit (CSL) amount, then you can use whatever portion of that maximum that is required to cover property damages.